How to Report Fraudulent Unemployment Claims

November 5, 2020
How to Report Fraudulent Unemployment Claims

With unemployment on the rise due to the pandemic, so are fraudulent claims for benefits. According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), criminals are filing benefits claims using names and personal information, such as date of birth and Social Security number, of people who haven’t lost their jobs.

If you are affected by this scam, you may first learn about it when you receive a notice from your state unemployment benefits office or employer about your supposed application for benefits. By then, however, the benefits usually have been paid to an account the criminals control.

While Mariner Wealth Advisors’ data has not been compromised, here are steps recommended by the FTC that you can take if you are a victim of this type of identity theft.

Q: What do I do if a false Social Security claim has been filed in my name?

A: If you are a member of an ID Theft protection plan, report the fraud to your provider right away by calling their support line, and they will assist you with next steps. If you are not a member of a plan, report your identity theft to the FTC at: to receive a recovery plan. The FTC will guide you through placing a free, one-year fraud alert on your credit, how to get your free credit reports, how to close fraudulent accounts opened in your name, adding a free extended fraud alert or credit freeze to your credit report, and more. also will produce an FTC Identity Theft Report that you can use to clear fraudulent information from your credit reports.

Q: Should I alert the credit bureaus?

A: Yes. First, check your credit reports with each of the three main bureaus and place a fraud alert on each. You can also freeze your credit with each of the three major credit bureaus. This only prevents a thief from opening a new account in your name but doesn’t prevent changes being made to existing accounts. Keep in mind, if you freeze your credit reports, you will need to unfreeze them if you are seeking a loan on a car or home, for example. According to the FTC, if you make the request by phone, credit bureaus must lift the freeze within one hour of the request, and if by mail, then within three days of being notified.

Equifax 800-685-1111

Experian 888-EXPERIAN (888-397-3742)

Transunion 888-909-8872

Q: Who else needs to know about a fraudulent claim?

A: Consider reporting the fraud to your employer’s human resources and payroll departments and let them know an unemployment claim has been made in your name. Payroll should be able to assist you by reporting it to your state’s unemployment agency. Or, you can report the fraud to your state unemployment agency. In some cases, your state may want to get a fraud report from both you and your employer.

Locate your state’s agency at: Report fraud using an online form if possible to expedite your reporting. Keep any confirmation or case numbers you receive, as well as document who you spoke to at the state agency (if anyone) and when for your records and also your employer should share any documentation they receive with you. 

Q: What if I receive unemployment funds I didn’t apply for?

A: If you do receive funds you did not apply for, report it to the state agency that issued the funds and ask for instructions. Keep in mind, no state agency will ever ask you to wire, send cash, or put money on gift cards as a way of repayment.


“Unemployment benefits fraud puts workers at risk of more ID theft,”

This article is limited to the dissemination of general information pertaining to Mariner Wealth Advisors’ investment advisory services and general economic market conditions. The views expressed are for commentary purposes only and do not take into account any individual personal, financial, or tax considerations. As such, the information contained herein is not intended to be personal legal, investment or tax advice or a solicitation to buy or sell any security or engage in a particular investment strategy. Nothing herein should be relied upon as such, and there is no guarantee that any claims made will come to pass. Any opinions and forecasts contained herein are based on information and sources of information deemed to be reliable, but Mariner Wealth Advisors does not warrant the accuracy of the information that this opinion and forecast is based upon.  You should note that the materials are provided “as is” without any express or implied warranties. Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice and are not intended as investment advice or to predict future performance. Past performance does not guarantee future results. Consult your financial professional before making any investment decision.

Mariner Wealth Advisors (“MWA”), is an SEC registered investment adviser with its principal place of business in the State of Kansas. Registration of an investment adviser does not imply a certain level of skill or training. MWA is in compliance with the current notice filing requirements imposed upon registered investment advisers by those states in which MWA maintains clients. MWA may only transact business in those states in which it is notice filed or qualifies for an exemption or exclusion from notice filing requirements. Any subsequent, direct communication by MWA with a prospective client shall be conducted by a representative that is either registered or qualifies for an exemption or exclusion from registration in the state where the prospective client resides. For additional information about MWA, including fees and services, please contact MWA or refer to the Investment Adviser Public Disclosure website. Please read the disclosure statement carefully before you invest or send money.

Contact Us