Home › Navigating Divorce
Managing the Financial Impact of Divorce
We have wealth advisors who have obtained the Certified Divorce Financial AnalystTM designation and specialize in helping individuals manage the financial and emotional aspects of a divorce. They listen and understand the emotional toll you’re experiencing and also offer financial advice that puts your interests first. Your wealth advisor will partner with in-house teams and any outside legal counsel to review estate planning documents, assist with personal insurance planning and provide trust services, all to help ensure your assets and family are provided for and protected.
We specialize in partnering with individuals on a plan that may include:
- Proactive tax planning strategies including the tax-efficient transfer of property such as a home, reporting property you sell, and determining your tax filing status.
- Review of division of assets such as real estate, securities, retirement accounts, deferred compensation and restricted stock that ensures you receive their proper value.
- Creating a budget to account for a potential drop in income should you not receive sufficient alimony and child support.
- Reviewing cash flow to make any needed adjustments to expenses and income, including potential portfolio changes, to help ensure you can live within your means.
- Establishing estate planning strategies that include updating a will, living will, power of attorney and trusts to reflect your life change and to update beneficiaries.
- Assessing life insurance including whether to maintain a term life policy, if you should divide a cash value policy equally and establishing new policies if needed.
- Investment management advice to ensure your portfolio’s asset allocation meets your risk tolerance and updated time frames to reach goals.
MWA does not provide all services listed in this piece. Some services are provided by affiliates and are subject to additional fees. Additional fees may also apply for tax planning and preparation services.